[MinGW-Notify] [mingw] #39246: Please update MSYS awk; current awk-3.1.7 implementation is too old to remain viable

Back to archive index
MinGW Notification List mingw****@lists*****
Thu Apr 1 18:56:37 JST 2021

#39246: Please update MSYS awk; current awk-3.1.7 implementation is too old to remain viable

  Open Date: 2019-05-16 19:44
Last Update: 2021-04-01 06:56

URL for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net//projects/mingw/ticket/39246
RSS feed for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net/ticket/ticket_rss.php?group_id=3917&tid=39246

Last Changes/Comment on this Ticket:

Comment:

Thanks, sizious. The new patch looks good, very similar to the old.
Nice that you were able to drop the Debian patch. Was it upstreamed, do you know?
As for the MSYS_NO_PATHCONV feature, could you please submit it as a new ticket?
Could be done as a patch, or even as a pull request (just tell me the repository and branch name).
You can clone the repository at:
git://git.code.sf.net/p/mingw/msys-runtime
Thanks.

Ticket Status:

      Reporter: keith
         Owner: cstrauss
          Type: Feature Request
     MileStone: (None)
     Component: MSYS
      Severity: 5 - Medium
    Resolution: None

Ticket details:

While developing this Mercurial Queues emulation for Git, which will be required to support git integration for this proposed MinGW package builder tool, I've run into a problem with the MSYS implementation of awk.  On my LMDE system, I have awk-4.0.1, and I've written an emulator for "git qselect --series", (which I've yet to publish to the git-mq chamber).  This used gawk's "asorti()" function, with a custom sort-comparator function, to present the output in lexically sorted order; it works fine in awk-4.0.1, but fails on MSYS, which offers only awk-3.1.7; (the "asorti()" function appears to be supported, but the custom comparator function reference parameter is rejected).
I've since reworked my "git qselect --series" emulation, using my own "qsort()" function implementation, instead of gawk's "asorti()" function.  This makes the entire emulation significantly more portable, but it may still make sense to upgrade the MSYS implementation of awk, such that it will support more modern gawk features.

--
Ticket information of MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows project
MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows Project is hosted on OSDN

Project URL: https://osdn.net/projects/mingw/
OSDN: https://osdn.net