[Mingw-users] uninstall mingw

Back to archive index
Keith Marshall keith****@users*****
Fri Jun 19 04:44:18 JST 2020

On 18/06/2020 19:27, Peter Williams wrote:
> I'm still not clear by what you mean by "all MinGW installer". IFAIK
> this is just the one file: mingw-get.exe.

No, this is not correct.  The installer _is_ mingw-get, but most of its
run time code, (assuming an installation within C:\MinGW), is found in
C:\MinGW\libexec\mingw-get; C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe is just a stub,
to launch it, in either its CLI or GUI personality.

> To delete any folder,file or shortcut you do it in the standard way.
> Right click the appropriate icon and select the "delete" option.

Exactly so.  There is no bespoke "uninstall" tool for mingw-get, because
quite frankly, none is needed; the development, and maintenance of such
a tool would be a complete waste of time, and effort.

I'm in complete agreement, that the OP has not adequately specified his,
(or her), objective: if it's to expunge everything which is associated
with MinGW, then just delete the entire C:\MinGW directory tree.  OTOH,
if the intent is to remove just mingw-get, then delete any associated
desktop or start-menu shortcuts, in addition to:

  - C:\MinGW\bin\mingw-get.exe      (program file)
  - C:\MinGW\libexec\mingw-get      (program code directory)
  - C:\MinGW\var\lib\mingw-get      (working data directory)
  - C:\MinGW\var\cache\mingw-get    (package download directory)

Of these, only the last could possibly benefit from a bespoke cache
cleaning tool, (which may be included in some future release of the
mingw-get package set); in the meantime, manual deletion of stale
package files from C:\MinGW\var\cache\mingw-get\packages may be beneficial.

--
Regards,
Keith.