[PRb-list] E wind that blows o'er a hil

Back to archive index

Teaff crave****@cfins*****
2009年 8月 24日 (月) 19:52:03 JST

Ts his servants, robs his treasure-house, and escapes back to Robin Hood
with 'three hundred pound and more.' He then bethinks him of a shrewd
wile, and inveigles the sheriff to leave his hunting in order to see a
right fair hart and seven score of deer, which turn out to be Robin and
his men. Robin Hood exacts an oath of the sheriff, equivalent to an
armistice; and he returns home, having had his fill of the greenwood.
THE THIRD FYTTE 144. Lyth and lystyn, gentilmen, All that now be here;
Of Litell Johnn, that was the knightes man, Goode myrth ye shall here.
145. It was upon a mery day That yonge men wolde go shete; Lytell Johnn
fet his bowe anone, And sayde he wolde them mete. 146. Thre tymes Litell
Johnn shet aboute, And alwey he slet the wande; The proude sherif of
Notingham By the markes can stande. 147. The sherif swore a full greate
othe: 'By hym that dyede on a tre, This man is the best arschere That
ever yet sawe I me. 148. 'Say me nowe, wight yonge man, What is nowe thy
name? In what countre were thou borne, And where is thy wonynge wane?'
149. 'In Holdernes, sir, I was borne, I-wys al of my dame; Men cal me
Reynolde Grenelef Whan I am at home.' 150. 'Sey me, Reynolde Grenelefe,
Wolde thou dwell with me? And every yere I woll thee gyve Twenty marke
to thy fee.' 151. 'I have a maister,' sayde Litell Johnn, 'A curteys
knight is he; May ye leve gete of hym, The better may it be.' 152. The
sherif gate Litell John Twelve monethes of the knight; Therefore he gave
him right anone A gode hors and a wight. 153. Nowe is Litell John the
sherifes man, God lende us well to spede! But alwey thought Lytell John
To quyte hym wele his mede. 154. 'Nowe so God me helpe,' sayde Litell
John, 'And by my true leutye, I shall be the worst servaunt to hym That
ever yet had he.' 155. It fell upon a Wednesday The sherif on huntynge
was gone, And Litel John lay