[tomoyo-dev-en 205] Re: About supporting policy namespace.

Back to archive index

Jamie Nguyen jamie****@tomoy*****
Sun May 1 23:18:52 JST 2011

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Jamie Nguyen wrote:
>> I'm worried that this may potentially be quite confusing for new
>> users. They already have to try to understand the concept of "domains"
>> but now also have to understand the concept of "namespaces". I think
>> it is often best to make it possible for new features to be ignored if
>> users don't need them, but I'm not sure if this is possible here.
>
> By default, only <kernel> namespace is defined. Users need not to understand
> the concept of namespaces as long as they live in the <kernel> namespace only.

Just to make sure we understand each other, do I understand correctly
that you want to remove "initialize_domain" directive and replace with
"initialize_namespace"? Or do you intend them to exist together?

>> This directive can result in transition to either a domain or a
>> namespace, so both "auto_domain_transition" and
>> "auto_namespace_transition" don't describe perfectly. So I think it is
>> best to stick with "auto_domain_transition" to keep syntax familiar.
>> It also functions in exactly the same way unless <$namespace> is
>> specified, which makes it easier for users to ignore namespace
>> functionality.
>
> Excuse me, I couldn't catch. "auto_namespace_transition=" and
> "task auto_namespace_transition" are for jumping to a different namespace.
> "auto_domain_transition=" and "task auto_domain_transition" are for jumping to
> a different domain in the same namespace.
>
> Users need not to understand "initialize_namespace"/"no_initialize_namespace"/
> "auto_namespace_transition="/"task auto_namespace_transition" as long as they
> live in the <kernel> namespace only.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand completely. You posted this question earlier:

> If we want to use different keywords (like 'auto_namespace_transition="httpd"'
> and 'task auto_namespace_transition apache' ) for easier understanding,
> I can do so.

This was the first time I saw that you introduced these directives.
Are you saying that these directives are optional, and we could
implement without them?

Could you also explain the difference between
"auto_domain_transition=<httpd>" and "task auto_domain_transition
<httpd>". I am familiar with "task ....." but not the other.